After quite some time the heros at Offensive Security released a new version of the well known Kali distribution.
Read below to find the news and how to install/convert it.
The new features in Kali 2.0
As per the Kali page.
- Kali is now a "rolling distribution", means continously updating the Kali distro from the Debian Testing "after making sure that all packages are installable".
- Kali is now based on Debian Jessie (4.0 Kernel)
- Kali now natively supports KDE, GNOME3, Xfce, MATE, e17, lxde and i3wm. (the minimum RAM requirements for a full GNOME 3 session has increased to 768 MB)
- Check the ready build VMware and VirtualBox images.
- Upgrading from Kali 1.0 to Kali 2.0:
cat << EOF > /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib
deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates main contrib non-free
apt-get dist-upgrade # get a coffee, or 10.
- The Metasploit Community/Pro package had to be removed by request from Rapid7 and now "only" the open-source metasploit-framework is added. But you can manually install the Pro version after installing it from the Rapid7 page.
- Starting up the Metasploit Framework has slightly changed:
# Start the Postgresql Database
# Initialize the Metasploit Framework Database
# Run msfconsole